Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Gone with the Wind (1939)

Sorry I haven't posted anything in a while. My usual method when it comes to posting is to watch whatever movie I have from Netflix, make an entry about it and then do an entry about the next film I get, but it's taken me a while to watch my newest movie (The Lady Eve, for those interested).

So as a way of paying you people back (and celebrating a new subscriber, because I'm a WHORE), I'm going to make an entry about THE Hollywood movie. The blockbuster to end all blockbusters featuring the film Diva to end all film Divas.

Ok, do I really need to go into the plot of the movie. It's the South, Vivian Leigh is Scarlett O'Hara, a prissy southern belle infatuated with the oddly British Ashley Wilkes, but instead Ashley goes all Southern and marries his cousin Melanie. So Scarlett decided to marry a boy of her own, only for him to get killed when the Civil War breaks out. Then she begins a long love/hate relationship with Rhett Butler (Clark Gable).

Really, everyone knows the plot, everyone knows the quotes, and hopefully everyone knows that Scarlett punched that annoying Prissy right in the back of the head.

But really, the film's pretty good once you dispel all the Hollywood legend surrounding it. The sets and costumes all are fantastic and Vivian Leigh is brilliant in the role, as is everyone else in the movie, which goes without saying. Plus, it's full of b*tchery as Scarlett acts like a petty child who HAS to get what she wants.

If there's any major flaw to the film, it's the second half. The first half is great as it involves a Civil War backdrop and is very epic, but then it becomes very closed off and intimate, and pretty much becomes a big soap opera, but it's still a pretty good soap opera (But when am I going to bash the Soap Opera? Just look at the name of my blog).

I know that it's really hard to do a film like this justice when it comes to discussing it, because it's become a huge part of pop culture, but there's not a lot I can say about the movie that people won't already know. They know the movie is great (or people say it is), they know what it's about and so on and so forth. But for those of you that haven't seen it, please do. It's a very important movie that, regardless of it's quality, needs to be seen due to it's impact on film as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment